Below I will list some tipps to improve the overall Magento performance of your shop:
Mage_Reportslogging for simple page views (use external analytics tools instead)
Disable unused (core) modules, e.g.
Mage_Poll, Mage_Tag, Mage_Rss, Mage_Wishlist, Mage_XmlConnect, Find_Feed, Mage_Authorizenet
(Pay attention to all side effects, e.g. when deactivating
Mage_Wishlistthe customer detail view in admin won’t work any longer in CE 1.7)
See also my blog post about disabling the Gift Message extension.
- Disable Magento file logging in production (or at least set up log rotating)
- Implement block caching for header / footer / navigation bar / product lists / …
- Use one of the latest Magento versions
- Use proper JS/CSS minifying
- Assure Catalog flat index is up-to-date and therewith Magento does not use EAV tables
- Use one of the newest PHP versions (5.4 or 5.5) because of better memory management
- Follow the performance tipps by the Magento ECG group